Liposuction is a body sculpture technique that removes superficial fat deposits to improve body contour and reduce size. It is not intended as a weight loss substitute.
The best candidates for liposuction exercise regularly, yet still have fat deposits resistant to exercise and dietary change. Traditional liposuction removes excess fat by placing a thin tube, connected to a suction device, through a small incision in the skin which then vacuums out the unwanted fat. While this is an effective process, there are newer methods that, in certain patients, can be even more efficient in removing unwanted fat.
Fat deposits accumulate in different places in the male and female bodies; in women, the most common areas for liposuction are the abdomen, thighs, hips, arms, and beneath the chin. In men, liposuction is most commonly performed upon the abdomen and flanks – the “love handles.”
LIPOSUCTION IS A GOOD OPTION FOR YOU IF:
- You are physically healthy and at a stable weight
- You exercise regularly and control your diet, but retain fat
- You have realistic expectations
- You do not smoke
Although the results of liposuction are technically permanent, the positive outcome can be greatly diminished by significant fluctuations in your weight. Performing liposuction will not stop fat from accumulating again should you gain weight.
The success and safety of your liposuction procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation with our surgeons. He/she will ask you a number of questions about your health, desires, and lifestyle.
BE PREPARED TO DISCUSS:
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations, and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies, and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
- Any previous surgeries
YOUR SURGEONS MAY ALSO:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Take photographs for your medical record
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of liposuction and any risks or potential complications
- In House Surgical Center or hospital
- 1 to 3 hrs duration
- Post-Op office visit the next day
- Mild bruising-like discomfort
- Return to work two to three days for smaller volume removed; or five to seven days for larger volume removed
- Light exercise after two to three weeks
- Wear compression garment for 4-6 weeks
Start your journey today.
Ready to learn more about which plastic surgery option is right for you? Schedule a consultation today with one of our world-class surgeons to get started. We look forward to beginning this exciting process with you!
Your journey begins today.
Thank you for visiting Delray Beach Plastic Surgery. As one of the top Facial Plastic Surgeons in America, Dr. Westine cannot wait to find out how we can help you achieve your aesthetic goals. Please contact us using our contact form, or the information below:
DELRAY BEACH PLASTIC SURGERY
250 Dixie Boulevard, #103
Delray Beach, FL 33444-3857
P: (561) 278-3245 / (877) 600-1113
F: (561) 276-1904